First a brief, very sad note:
Milo passed away on the 20th of August 2015, aged 16. In addition to his blindness, he had lost much of his hearing and he could no longer walk. Over the last 6 months of his life, Milo had the occasional tummy upset due to his ageing digestive system being a bit super-sensitive, but they only lasted a day or so and then he recovered and was bright, alert and happy again. However, his tummy upsets became more frequent and then on the 18th of August he had a bad attack, which wouldn’t clear up, so on the 20th of August I made the agonising decision to have him put to sleep.
Milo has been such a huge part of my life, and of my family. I miss him more than I could ever have imagined. I have decided to continue with this website in tribute to my wonderful, blind, diabetic pup who will never, ever be forgotten and can never be replaced.
Blind Dog Milo
Hello and Welcome to Blind Dog Milo
The online resource for owners of blind and partially sighted dogs.
This site is dedicated to my little dog Milo who, despite being blind, diabetic and epileptic, has the sweetest, gentlest nature you could imagine. More About Milo
I created this website to provide a comprehensive resource for owners of blind dogs – in particular to give reassurance to owners of a newly blind dog that the world hasn’t come to an end for their beloved friend. More about why I started this website
The information in this site should be of use to all owners of blind dogs, be they owners of newly blind dogs, new owners of already blind dogs, or more experienced owners who may be interested in new developments and products for their pet.
This website will provide: –
- useful hints and tips on caring for, and living with a blind dog
- basic information about coping with the various medical conditions associated with partial sight loss and blindness in dogs – includes conditions such as Diabetes, Cushings, SARDS (Sudden Acquired Retinal Degeneration Syndrome), PRA (Progressive Retinal Atrophy), Epilepsy, Glaucoma, Dry Eye and Cataracts
- news stories from around the world about blind dogs and their owners
- information on any new products, equipment, toys, medical treatments and training techniques etc which will help these amazing pets and their owners to enjoy their lives as much as any fully sighted dog
The aim is for this to become the most comprehensive website providing advice and support for owners of blind dogs and I would love to hear from you if you feel anything needs changing or if there is an area I haven’t covered that you would like to see included.
- I would also love to see your photos and hear your stories about your own blind dog and how you’ve adjusted to the challenges and rewards of caring for a visually impaired pet. Send me your stories and photos and I will feature them on this site in a “Rogues Gallery”
- Perhaps you would like to share your own hints and tips gathered from your experience of caring for your blind dog? Send me your hints and tips and I will add them to this site, giving you due credit
- You could also add your own comments, opinions and reviews on any of the products I have mentioned or information I have published here
Together we could make this website an invaluable resource for all those who are caring for these very special pets.
***Note: Some sections of this site are still under construction and will be developing over time, so if you can’t find what you’re looking for please come back another time.***