Source: Manchester Evening News
Aug 28, 2014 08:34 By Pete Bainbridge
The young border collie, named Jack, was left in serious pain when thugs sprayed the chemicals in his face in Shaw.
Cruel burglars blinded a dog with chemicals during a break in.
The young border collie, named Jack, was left in serious pain when thugs sprayed ammonia in his face in Oldham.
Jack’s eyes were ulcerated by the harsh fluid, leaving him temporarily blind. Police said he was treated by vets and is now recovering well.
The attack took place during a burglary on Thornham Road in Shaw on Friday, August 15.
Between 10.30am and 11.30am on Friday 15 August 2014, the offenders walked into the kitchen of a home and saw Jack. They sprayed the fluid into his eyes, then searched the house and stole personal property including money, laptop and a mobile phone before leaving.
PC Tom Nicholson said: “Not only did the homeowners come back to see their house had been broken into but their beloved dog had been needlessly sprayed in the face with ammonia.
“The dog was in a lot of pain, had injuries to the eyes and was temporarily blinded. He needed treatment at the vets but thankfully they are recovering well. I would ask people who may have been walking or driving in the Thornham Road area at the time of the burglary and witnessed anything suspicious, to contact us.”
RSPCA Inspector Charlotte Melvin said: “This was a horrific and needless attack on a young dog as part of a burglary. The fumes from the chemical were overwhelming as I opened the door.
“The dog was rubbing his face because he was in so much pain. I took him to the vet where they gave him some painkillers and put dye in his eyes to show-up the damage.
“One of his eyes was completely ulcerated, fortunately the other was not so badly damaged. I would urge anyone who knows anything about this burglary and the attack on Jack to contact the police.”
Anyone with information should phone police on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.