Protecting your blind dog from bumps and knocks can be a challenge. We often joke that Milo is a bit like a pinball, bouncing from one wall to another or from one piece of furniture to another, but all joking aside, it can be quite worrying hearing the thud as he walks into yet another wall or closed door.
If your dog continually bumps into things you could consider getting the following equipment:
- The canine version of a “white stick” – i.e. a Halo/Hoop collar or harness. This is a hoop attached to the dog’s collar or harness which loops round in front of the dog’s nose and will make contact with walls, furniture etc before the dog’s head does.
Note: you could have a go at making your own White Stick collar or a Hoop or Halo collar. Instructions for some different designs can be found below:
* “White Stick” collar using cable ties – blinddogs.net/blind_dog_collar_plan
* Hoop or Halo collar – e How DIY Hoop Collar
* Hoop or Halo harness, designed especially for tiny or small dogs – reddit.com/user/_Blur
- A sonar/echo-locating device, such as the BlindSight® unit. This is a very new concept, which has only recently become available to the public. It is a device which hangs around your dogs neck and emits a sound, above the range of human hearing, which lets the dog know when he/she is nearing an obstacle such as a wall or a piece of furniture. See Jordy Canid Inc’s website for further information
Obviously you can control the environment in your own home and garden to a much greater extent than the great outdoors. The outside world can present many dangers and hazards for a blind dog and therefore you may need to take extra precautions to protect your dog’s eyes when out for a walk: –
- A sonar/echo-locating device such as the BlindSight® unit mentioned above, really comes into its own when out and about. It will help your dog to identify and avoid obstacles in his/her path, so restoring their confidence and enabling them to explore their surroundings in relative safety
Got any Hints and Tips you’d like to share?
Send them to me and I will add them to this site